Sunday, November 23, 2008

Unusual

Completely out of character for me.....I love the Dixie Chicks. Normally I cannot stand country music unless it somehow has Johnny Cash attached to it. In fact, you will find in a list of music that I like "anything except heavy metal and country music". However, I have always had a soft spot for the Dixie Chicks. They are all quite lovely looking and their music is fun, catchy and often has a really great message in the lyrics. Tonight I watched their documentary Shut up and Sing relating to the controversy that was created when Natalie Maines made a statement about George W Bush and the war in Iraq which was about to start. This statement was then blown completely out of proportion and came to a climax when there was death threats issued against Natalie. I found it quite moving and inspirational that not only would Natalie not back down on what she had said, but the entire band stood up for her and the statement she made even though it was looking like their music careers would suffer. What a great group of girls, loyal, strong-willed, determined and intelligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment