Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Santa goes to Africa

On Sunday as we were driving to Church Paige asked me an interesting question that I have been thinking about ever since. It came completely out of nowhere and I am not sure that I answered it all that well, but apparently it was enough for her as she has moved on....unfortunately, I haven't.

Paige: Mummy, does Santa take presents to all the children in Africa?
Me: Um, I guess so.
Paige: So then they have toys and stuff to play with but no food?
Me: Well, maybe Santa brings some water or some food instead of toys.
Paige: OK

This was almost enough for me to break my own rule about telling her Santa is not real. A long time ago, I made the boy promise that we would let them believe in Santa for a few years, he was all for telling them from the start that Santa was make believe. Not only did he want them to know the truth, but he thought it would be funny at school. I totally disagreed and made him promise not to tell them which he went along with. Now I am finding myself increasingly of the opinion that Paige at least is old enough to understand the truth about Santa and that no, he doesn't bring toys to the kids in Africa, they mostly don't have toys.

She is very concerned that he brings them toys as it is not their fault that they are poor and/or orphans and that they didn't get that way from being naughty. How do you explain to a 5 year old who believes in Santa about how it is in Africa.....I think, I might need to think about this some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment